Bird on a Perch Skirt

I saw this fabric in the spring and had to have it. It is from the Aviary 2 collection by Joel Dewberry (Westminster Fabrics).  I immediately pictured this fabric as a perfect skirt. I tend to shy away from making clothes – I’m not the best at the subtleties of sewing for a great fit. But I figured I would buy a pattern and give it a try. Which means that the supplies went into my craft closet for about 5 months. Last month with fall setting in, I decided I was ready to work with the fabric. I had bought a Serendipity Studio skirt pattern when I bought the fabric. I was drawn in by all the options for alternating patterns or embellishments available with the pattern  It was a straight forward with a front panel, 2 back panels (to allow for zipper), and front and back yoke pieces to allow for a drop waist. The pattern instructions were straight forward (assuming you know the basics of reading a pattern).

In retrospect, I should have numbered the order in which to execute the pattern instructions. Like many patterns, there were multiple skirt options included within the same packet. It was not clear at all in what order to complete the steps. Sure, it’s obvious that you do your cutting first, but after that assembly can vary – yoke attached to skirt first or basic skirt assembly with zipper. With other patterns I have used, Simplicity, for example, the steps are numbered. With this brand, there are headings for each section – but not numbered.  I re-read the pattern multiple times and still made a ‘mistake.’ The zipper was supposed to be in the center of the back. I ‘incorrectly’ put it on the side – but it in the end I think I liked better on the side.

I don’t have a serger, so I finish the raw edges by sewing a zig zag stitch right at the edge of the seam.While this method works fine to keep the raw edges from unravelling, I wanted something a bit nicer for the edge of the interfacing at the waist. I had some bias tape lying around from a previous project, so I deciding to sew the bias tape in to seal off the raw edge. A final stitch to tack the interfacing to the zipper held it in place. It worked out really well and gave a bit of weight to the interfacing, which will help it lay flat. I will definitely buy bias tape in the future for a more attractive and sturdy finish edge in the future.

My favorite part of completing most projects is picking the embellishments. For this I selected a matching yellow grosgrain ribbon sewn along the border between the main part of the skirt and the bottom of the yoke. I folded it under at the terminal ends of the ribbon by the zipper so that the ribbon wouldn’t unravel.

The final skirt turned out a bit more A-Line than I was expecting but looks good with boots and a sweater, nonetheless.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s